You are here

Man Injured During Arrest by HRP in Downtown Halifax


The province's independent Serious Incident Response Team (SiRT) has commenced an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the arrest of a 23-year-old man Monday afternoon, March 23.   

At approximately 2:30 p.m., Halifax Regional Police (HRP) received a call from staff of a restaurant on Granville St. that a man entered their premises and stole items from a woman’s purse. Two officers responded, and located the man on George St. near Hollis St.  A brief scuffle ensued, and the man ran from the officers westerly up George St. They gave chase, and encountered the man again on George St. near the intersection with Barrington St., across from the Grand Parade.

At this point the police utilized a conducted energy weapon on the man, and he fell to the ground.  He apparently stuck his head, and he lost consciousness. EHS was immediately called. The man was taken to the QEII hospital, where he has been diagnosed with serious head injuries.

As a result of the serious injury, and in accordance with the Police Act, HRP contacted SiRT at 4:30 this afternoon.  SiRT commenced its investigation immediately with two investigators responding to the matter.

Anyone who may have witnessed the incident, is asked to contact SiRT at 902-424-2010, or toll free 1-855-450-2010.

The Serious Incident Response Team is responsible for investigating all serious incidents involving police in Nova Scotia, whether or not there is an allegation of wrongdoing. Investigations are under the direction and control of independent civilian director Ron MacDonald.

The team can independently begin an investigation after a referral from a chief of police, the head of the RCMP in Nova Scotia or the Minister of Justice. It can also investigate after a complaint from the public.

The Police Act requires the director to file a public report summarizing the result of the investigation within three months after it is finished.

Media Contact:

Ron MacDonald, QC