You are here

Report Released in HRP Shooting of Male


The province's independent Serious Incident Response Team (SiRT) has completed its investigation of a police shooting that occurred in Dartmouth in June.  It has concluded there are no grounds for charges against a Halifax Regional Police (HRP) officer.

On the evening of June 27, 2013, officers were attempting to arrest a 35-year-old male in his home when he pulled a knife and threatened to stab one of them. He ran off, but was located a short time later on the Prince Arthur School sports field. Two uniformed HRP officers chased him on foot for about 100 metres. The male then stopped, turned and threatened the first officer with a knife from 15 to 25 feet away. He ignored commands to drop the knife.

The male told SiRT he had been using crack cocaine for four days, and heard his deceased father’s voice tell him he should kill himself. He said he wanted the police to shoot him. He also said he turned to run before he was shot, but none of the many civilians who were playing ball on the field and witnessed the shooting saw that occur.

The investigation determined it was reasonable for the officer to conclude his life was in danger, and he was justified in shooting the male. The male was struck by three shots, suffered non-life threatening injuries and was released from hospital the next day.

The full report is available at .

SIRT is responsible for investigating all serious incidents involving police in Nova Scotia. Investigations are under the direction and control of independent civilian director Ron MacDonald, who has the sole authority to determine if charges should be laid after the conclusion of an investigation.


Media Contact:

               Ron MacDonald
               Serious Incident Response Team
               Cell: 902-718-9707